Arcimboldo’s Summer

Arcimboldo’s Summer
Giuseppe Arcimboldo (1527-1593) was the master of these pre-surrealist paintings of figures formed of grouped objects (not always food).

Sunday 23 December 2018

Soup Quest: Duchy Organic Chicken Mulligatawny

As I explained in a previous post, I always like to have some good quality soup in the store cupboard (I don't literally have a store cupboard, but you know what I mean). 

And when winter arrived this year, with its grim weather, early darkness and annoying colds, my cupboard was bare.

So I went on a quest for some really nice soups which can be stored for long periods.

I was attracted by the new range of Duchy soups at Waitrose. These can be stored at room temperature for a year or more, so that was a big point in their favour.

And they're organic.

I was mostly looking for vegetarian soups, but the only two Duchy long-life soups available at my local store were chicken and ox cheek.

I went for this chicken one, as the lesser of two evils.

And, I have to say, it was really great. It's a small portion, just right for an agreeable bowl for one person, and the flavour was first rate. Complex and rather mouthwatering.

I'm going to stock up on these Duchy soups. Half a dozen stashed in a cupboard will prove very useful indeed. 

And, thanks to a bit of internet research, I find they do produce a vegetarian option — mushroom.

I can't wait to try it.

(Image credits: The pic is from Waitrose.)

No comments:

Post a Comment