Arcimboldo’s Summer

Arcimboldo’s Summer
Giuseppe Arcimboldo (1527-1593) was the master of these pre-surrealist paintings of figures formed of grouped objects (not always food).

Sunday 4 May 2014

Asda Extra Virgin Olive Oil

In our continuing search for the best budget extra virgin olive oil, I have to tell you that there's a new kid in town. Now, I have nothing against Lidl's excellent Primadonna, which I've written about here. Indeed when I was in their store the other day I noticed the price had dropped from around three quid a litre to about £2.79.

And I think I know why. I visited Asda the same day I discovered that their own brand extra virgin was on sale for £2.89 a litre (it's normally £3.75). I took a bottle home to try and it was first rate. Perhaps a little more spicy/peppery than the Primadonna.

I got a lift with a friend (thanks, Matt!) and bought half a dozen more litre bottles from Asda. This is going to be my standard oil for a while.

One word of warning though, that picture doesn't accurately depict the oil I bought. It appears to be an old design, but it's the only one available. Once again I'm surprised at how out of date the websites of the major supermarkets are.

Still a great oil, though. And a terrific bargain. Try some.

(Image credits: the erroneous pic, but the only one I could find on the net, comes from My Supermarket.)

No comments:

Post a Comment